For those who want to join the aid sector or move on to higher positions: whether you have extensive professional experience in this sector and want to obtain a diploma while further honing your skills or because you are currently working in the private sector and wish to adapt your existing skills.
3 months training + 6 months workbased learning in the field. This training programme focuses on the Humanitarian Programme Manager’s 3 core competencies: managing People and Organisations, managing Programmes and Projects, managing Finance and Funding.
- Introduction to the aid sector: To provide participants with thorough knowledge of the humanitarian sector and issues at stake: stakeholders, systems, coordination mechanisms, legal and ethical framework, Q&A initiatives and applications relating to programme management. Introduction to the Humanitarian Sector. Introduction to Q&A initiatives and applications in programme management. Accountability and its applications in programme management. International humanitarian law and ethics. Challenges in the humanitarian sector.
- Managing People and Organisations: To enable participants to choose and apply appropriate tools to manage themselves, other people, and organizations involved in humanitarian programmes. Strengthening organisational capacity: developing strategy, applying strategic thinking to team performance, developing effective and healthy teams, leading change. Managing People. Managing team safety and security.
- Managing Programmes and Projects: To enable participants to choose and apply appropriate tools to manage all stages of the project cycle in humanitarian contexts. Assessment and analysis. Planning & Programming of operational activities. Monitoring programming.
- Managing Finance and Funding: To provide participants with the critical skills required to raise funds for humanitarian programmes and to manage financial resources accountably. Donors context & funding cycle. Choice of Donor & Essential elements of a proposal. How to approach a donor. Private donors. Financial management concepts and frameworks & Getting organised. Financial planning essentials. Field accounting essentials. Financial reporting essentials / Financial analysis. Internal control essentials & Summary.
- Training of Trainers: To provide participants with the appropriate methods & tools to develop, facilitate, monitor & evaluate capacity building activities. Principles of adult learning. Methods and techniques for adult learning. Learning styles & rhythms. Role of the trainer. Needs analysis & drafting objectives. Writing session plans. Techniques for evaluation of training. Transfer to professional application
- Field exercise.